Thursday, January 10, 2008

project inspiration and statement

As a resident of the Belmont neighborhood in Charlottesville, I walk
across the Belmont Bridge next to the Charlottesville Downtown Mall,
one of the sites where Buckingham trains sit for the purposes of loading and
unloading. Over past few months, I've become very attuned and
attracted to the sounds made by a particular train - Buckingham 6 -
while it rests on weekday afternoons. From an experimental
musician's perspective, Buckingham 6 makes the most rhythmically and
texturally compelling sounds that musicians could hardly generate
using ready-made technologies.

My artistic vision is to gather a few musicians to set up near the
site - most likely under the Belmont Bridge - and improvise along
Buckingham 6 live. This event will then be documented and become a
part of the series "On-Site Improvisation with Trains."

As of now, I'm generating interest from the community. My hope is that
with enough institutional support, I can convince the train company to
collaborate with us. If you're with me, send me an email: wendy.f.hsu@gmail.com.

No comments: